Tuesday, July 24, 2007

A Conversation on the Golf Course...

A while back I was playing a round of golf with a buddy and friend of his. (Yes, I play golf... it has a hook and a handicap in it doesn't it?) The friend of my buddy was very interested in my work as a counselor and told me how he wanted to go into Christian counseling as a second career.

Now this fella was a religious goober. You know the kind that can just suck the life out of a good round of golf. He was very impressed with the things he did for Jesus and knew that he could do great things from the counselor's chair.

I was feeling a little mischievous and was tired of the religious duffer so I pulled a stick out of my bag (not my golf bag).

"I've found that there are two reasons that people go into counseling." I said.

"Oh, what are those?"

"There are those that want to get people to live right, and there are those that want to help people heal." I responded.

"Hmmm, right." He was nodding as if I had said something profound.

So I asked, "Which motivates you to become a counselor?"

His chest puffed up and he smiled real wide. "Why, I want to get people to live right!" Did I say he was smiling?

So I quipped "I've found that those that want to get people to live right make the worst counselors."

Fore!

Jesus came to heal us... not reform us!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mark,
It's good to hear from you again!!
Scott