Monday, April 14, 2008

The Father Doesn't Have To Be Persuaded...

I was leading a Bible study Sunday night and we were looking at John 16. In particular John 16:26-27. Here is what it says:
26 "In that day you will ask in my name. I am not saying that I will ask the Father on your behalf. 27 No, the Father himself loves you because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God."
Do you see that? Jesus is telling us that the Father does not have to be persuaded into being gracious to us. The Father's attitude toward us sinners is one of love and graciousness. As JB Torrance said - "The Father does not have to be conditioned into being gracious."

The cross of Christ and His ongoing ministry of intercession is not one of pleading to the Father on the behalf of us dirty sinners. "Father, I know you can't have anything to do with those people - you can't look upon sin. But I know you love me and they're with me. You have to accept them Father, because they accepted me."

No! The cross of Christ and His ministry of intercession is for us because we are weak. We are afraid. We don't really believe that the Father is good and we can't relate properly with Him - we won't let Him love us. Jesus scoops us up and shares His peace and joy with the Father in the Spirit and continues to tell us - "Father loves you, just like He loves me!"

The cross is aimed at converting us - not the Father! The cross of Christ is aimed at demonstrating an unimaginable truth - while we were enemies He died for us. God loves those who relate to Him as if He were an enemy!

"I'm not your enemy! Your enemy has been condemned!"

Who has to be persuaded? We do! That is what John 16 is all about - Jesus is telling us that the Spirit is coming (and has come) to convince us just how beautiful God is and that we are included!

Amen!

No comments: