Monday, January 08, 2007

Control or Liberation?

I sat down last night to read a few minutes from one of my favorites, The Ragamuffin Gospel, and receive some comfort, encouragement and as always passion. I almost missed this paragraph in trying to find where I last left off. I'm glad I looked back to the top of the page and read this:
Eugene Kennedy writes: "The devil dwells in the urge to control rather than liberate the human soul. One can hardly live in these closing years of the twentieth century without realizing how the forces of control have gathered.... We stand by a dark forest through which fearful religious and political leaders would force us to pass in single file through their exclusive pathway of righteousness. They want to intimidate us, make us afraid and hand over our souls to them once more. Jesus saw such shadowed forces as the corrupters of the essential nature of religion in his time. They are no less so all these centuries later."

No comments: