Thursday, January 18, 2007

Listening to Friends and Family Members

At this time of year, I start my Marathon Makeover training program with which I will train others to finish the Chicago Marathon. This is my fourth year to do this and I have seen 125 people cross the finish line after 26.2 miles and most of them were couch potatoes when they started.

What is interesting to me is that every year I have to contend with participants who are being counseled by their friends and family members NOT to do a marathon.

"That's stupid!"
"You're going to hurt yourself."
"That's a selfish waste of time."

On and on it goes and sadly too many people listen to their friends and family. They are trying to be helpful and keep you from failing - Never try anything big and you won't be disappointed - but the message is "you are too fragile to handle disappointment."

If you are going to make it in this world, there comes a time when you have to stop listening to your friends and family and run your own race. They have a limited perspective of you, after all, they knew you when you were in diapers or where a 7th grade dork.
"While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. Someone told him, "Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you." He replied to him, "Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?" Pointing to his disciples, he said, "Here are my mother and my brothers. For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother."

Matthew 12:46-50

No comments: