Tuesday, January 23, 2007

A Marathon Isn't 26.2 Miles...

I was interviewed for an upcoming article on our Marathon Makeover and the reporter asked me what life applications I had learned from training for and training others for a marathon. For me it was easy. The thing I have learned the most is that a marathon isn't 26.2 miles - it is one mile 26.2 times.

Whenever I have run a marathon, I have not been able to focus on the whole picture, that is too overwhelming. By breaking down the process into bite-sized pieces, I have been able to get through the enormous task. Life works this way.

Instead of focusing on the whole picture of the surmounting task(s) before you, break the task into what you can accomplish today. Slice the task into small deli-style slices and start chewing.

Most everyone I know can walk or run one mile. If that is the case, and if they are persistent enough, they can accomplish a marathon if they keep moving.

What are you facing in your life that you need to overcome? Break it down into small steps and focus only on those steps and keep moving. In time, you will get through the whole marathon task.

No comments: