Friday, August 25, 2006

Hello My Name Is...


Have you ever finished a prayer with the words, "In Jesus Name I pray. Amen."?

Why do we say those words? Are they the spiritual equivalent of the Woodchuck Hi Sign that work as a prayer password that get our prayers heard?

I've heard it said that God doesn't hear any prayers that aren't said in Jesus name. I'm not sure I agree with that. I think the confusion comes from the fact that Jesus told us that anything that we ask in His name will be answered.

The meaning of that has to do with our prayers being in line with what God is doing and us being attuned to His will. But for the sake of this blog posting I want to look at another aspect of prayer in Jesus name.

I think a reason we are called to pray in Jesus name is because He lives in our name. The Scriptures tell us He is our Great High Priest. Right now, He is loving the Father with all His heart, soul, mind and strength as our High Priest. What He is doing, He is doing in our name and on our behalf.

In Old Testament times, the high priest would wear a breastplate that had twelve stones on it - each symbolizing one of the twelve tribes. When he would function in his ministerial role of high priest he WAS Israel. What he did, he did in the name of Israel - on their behalf. What he did counted for ALL of Israel.

So it is today with Jesus. Inscribed on His heart is humanity and He lives to intercede for us! It is as if right now Jesus wears one of those "Hello My Name Is" name tags in Heaven with your name on it. Everything He does is for you. Everything He does IS you in Him! In Him you are the righteousness of God!

So next time you finish a prayer with the words, "In Jesus name I pray. Amen." Here him whisper back, "In your name I live!"

"I have been crucified with Christ. My ego is no longer central. It is no longer important that I appear righteous before you or have your good opinion, and I am no longer driven to impress God. Christ lives in me. The life you see me living is not "mine," but it is lived by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."

Galatians 2:20 (The Message Translation)

No comments: