Tuesday, August 29, 2006

My Favorite Oxymoron

ox‧y‧mo‧ron
Pronunciation - ok-si-mawr-on

Rhetoric a figure of speech by which a locution produces an incongruous, seemingly self-contradictory effect.


Here's a list of some of my favorite oxymora. Number one on my list is my favorite oxymoron.

20. Government Organization
19. Alone Together
18. Personal Computer
17. Silent Scream
16. Living Dead
15. Same Difference
14. Taped Live
13. Plastic Glasses
12. Tight Slacks
11. Peace Force
10. Pretty Ugly
9. Head Butt
8. Working Vacation
7. Tax Return
6. Virtual Reality
5. Dodge Ram
4. Work Party
3. Jumbo Shrimp
2. Microsoft Works
1. Good Christian

Why is "Good Christian" an oxymoron? If we were good, we wouldn't need a Christ!

Christians are sinners who have an amazing Savior who actually loves and accepts us at our worst. If there is any goodness in us, it is the fruit of His life finding expression in us.

Don't call me good - there is only one good. If you do see good in me - consider the Source!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a problem with that "no good in me" or that whatever good you find in me, really isn't mine, idea. Have you ever considered, especially with your therapist background, the destructive potential of such a belief? Or have I misunderstood your point?

Mark Simpson said...

Great point and call for clarification! I am definitely NOT advocating total depravity, I abhore that (IMHO) anti-christian belief.

I am stating that there is good in me, you and the whole world and the source is God who freely shares Himself with all of us, believers and unbelievers, and somehow I - in my own personhood - get to participate in it.

We can't claim the goodness as our own, for we are not on our own! "I live, yet not I, but Christ who lives in me!"

The Apostle Paul stated in 2 Corinthians 5 that he could "regard no one according to the flesh" because he had come to see the union of God and man in Jesus. He saw beauty, new creation, goodness in everyone because of Christ and as an ambassador urgently called everyone to celebrate in their being the goodness that has come from God.

If we could only see that it's not about "ME" and my striving to be acceptable, but that a good God - Father, Son and Spirit - shares with me (and everyone) their goodness and therefore in the final analysis we can all say "I'm good! Yet not I, but Christ who is good in me!".

The greater danger to me, is to see a person as an individual - autonomous - and that they are the source of their goodness. On good hair days they are up and acceptable BUT on bad hair days they crater.

Our goodness does not originate in us and isn't sustained by us - on good and bad hair days consider the Source and rest!