Thursday, October 12, 2006

Creating a Real Soul Connection (Part 2)

“Metanoia” is a Greek word that happens to be one of my favorite words. The word is rich in its meaning and gives us great insight into how change comes about. “Meta” means to change, turn or transform and “noia” means mind, knowing. The force of this “knowing” isn’t “I know that two plus two equals four.” It carries a meaning more in line with, “I know my wife and we have three daughters.” It means a deep working understanding and connection.

“Metanoia” means to radically transform your knowing, your soul knowing. What is the English equivalent of that word? Repent. Can you believe that? Usually the word repent is used way back on that “Actions” layer and someone is telling us to try harder to do right. But the truth of the matter is, repentance is about soul knowing and soul changing, and this is what today’s blog is all about.

The question we are all asking

As I mentioned earlier, we are all asking a question. That question is “Am I beloved?” Everything rises and falls on the answer we have for that question. If we answer, “Yes, I am beloved!” and we know that is true in the deepest part of who we are, then all those good peaceful, wonderful things will begin to flow out of us like rivers of water that produce life. If we answer, “No, I don’t think I am beloved!”, then all those negative toxic things will begin to flow from us and poison our relationships.

Now all of us at times, feel beloved, feel significant, feel special, but what I am talking about has to go beyond a momentary feeling. Feelings are situational and can turn on the dime when bad things happen to us. What I’m talking about is something more substantial and lasting. The knowing here is a spiritual knowing, not a physical knowing. A physical knowing is related to our present and momentary experiences. My wife is smiling at me or she is frustrated because I left that towel on the floor again. If we base our identity on our circumstances and present relationships we are in for a bumpy ride.

Let’s face it, circumstances and present relationships are fickle and always shifting, the knowledge of the soul has to attach to something more permanent, and the only permanent thing in this universe is not an “it” but a “who” and that “who” is God. There is only one person who carries the weight and authority to have his word stick and that is the Eternal Word of the Father, given to us in the Spirit – His name is Jesus.

I can rise or fall on a word, especially in those times when I am living a physical life; you know, trying to fix my life from the outside in not the inside out. I become dependent on my wife or job or some friend to tell me who I am. Once again the problem is the words sometimes change. If they are happy I’m up, if the cash flow is up I’m up, if they are calling me I’m up. But if all these things go down, I do too. And the difficulty in all this is that many times they go up and down irrespective of anything I do. People places and things are inconsistent.

I need to attach to something that transcends the physical. I need a Word that is consistent and true. The fact of the matter is I have been given that Word and you have been given that Word, too. He is the Eternal Word Jesus! The Father has given us His Word to demonstrate his love for us. Does the Father keep his Word? Yes! The Father keeps His Word at His right hand and you are bound up in His Word. In order for you to be worthless, the Father’s Word must become worthless and the Word, Jesus Christ will never be worthless or rejected or retracted by the Father. You are included in the Father’s loving Word. His Word was given for you.

Like anything related to words, if I do not listen to the word, do not know the word, the words do not impact me. The word spoken and delivered only set me free when I receive the word given me. If I reject the word, it doesn’t stir me. But what happens if I hear the word and receive the word and respond to the word? The word has transformed me.

In the same way, The Eternal Word, Jesus, has been given to me and you and as we receive the Word, and the Good Word to be sure, and we accept the Giver of the Word, the Father as being trustworthy, we have a constant, consistent Word to depend on. What is the communication of The Word? It is, “I have loved you with an everlasting love! Nothing can separate you from my love! I have bought you with a price and you do not belong to your self, but me!” Hear what the Word of God is communicating, take it in, let it sink to the depths of your soul and let it liberate you to know yourself and be yourself.

The Word of God tells us we are beloved! And our beloved-ness is not dependent upon ourselves, our behavior, or our ability to get it right. Our beloved-ness is secure in God’s Word, Jesus! When we know that in the depths of our soul, we are set free to live life abundantly. Joy and peace and life flow from our deepest parts and we can really begin to connect with others.

No comments: